Re: X lockups

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 12:01:42PM -0400, Susan Kleinmann wrote:
> This past weekend, I noticed my system locked up in an X windows session.
> This system has an nvidia card, GEForce2 MX, and I have been using
> nvidia drivers.

That's also my graphics card at home.

> To regain control of the console, I logged in remotely using ssh
> and killed X.  But that left the screen in an odd state (I guess the
> nvidia start-up routine that's executed when X comes up has to be
> somehow turned off (how?))  So I had to reboot.  This has now become
> an every-time-I-bring-up-X experience.

I had similar problems.

Using closed source nvidia drivers is evil. I know, sometimes there is no
choice - and I use them as well...

You could try:
- use the open nv drivers
- diasble frame buffer in the kernel, and in /etc/X11/XFree86-4, if you
haven't already
- use the newest nvidia drivers

Greetings,
Oliver, always happy to help his AM ;-)