Re: dselect UTF-8 bug not fixed

Previously Michael Piefel wrote:
> Well, I believe it is. You count the number of characters in the string,
> perhaps using strlen or some other non-UTF-8-aware function.

strlen

> Oh, so it's _my_ bug suddenly? (When a moment ago you said there weren't
> any bug at all.) What exactly is the bug in the translation? Using
> umlauts? Then check the other translations:

The bug is assuming you can use UTF-8 when dpkg does not support that
at all. dpkg code only supports 8-bit encodings currently and doesn't
even claim to support those properly (only standard ASCII is
guaranteed, and no attempt is made to convert to whatever charset
your terminal has).

Wichert.