Re: Why does modules.conf go in /etc, anyway?

On Tuesday, June 25, 2002, at 06:53 , Erich Schubert wrote:

I remember that some people like to edit modules.conf themselves
directly, instead of using update-modules...

I don't see any good reason why, but if there is a need to make that work, then change the rule to:

    iff exists /etc/modules.conf, use that. updated-modules just spews a
    warning.

else, use /var/cache/modutils/modules[1]. update-modules updates that
    file with no worries about policy.

Didn't debconf ask me something like that yesterday?

My psychic powers[0] say 'sort of', because you already had an /etc/modules.conf file and it was not generated by update-modules, but it wasn't debconf.

Also, I sense that modutils will delete a '/etc/init.d/modclean' file without prompting the user.

[0] Reading of /var/lib/dpkg/info/modutils.postinst
[1] My reading of FHS says /var/cache is appropriate. /var/lib wouldn't be
    too bad, though, if modutils can't be made to call update-modules
    automatically if the file does not exist.