Re: Proposal for new Security subsection for non-US

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 11:49:02AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 01:25:56PM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 12:46:27AM +0300, Pavel Minev Penev wrote:
> > > I would think of using xdelta, or similar to distrubute changes as
> > > binary patches, since there could be a real server overload when a few
> > > hundred administrators and mere people start downloading the brand new
> > > deifinitions simultaneously. What about a public rsync? Maybe a usual
> > > announce mailing list?
>
> > > In my oppinion, a package created ten minutes ago can't go into stable.
> > > Even if it is a simple virus/worm/blacklist/... definion. Bugs can crawl
> > > anywhere. Therefore, I don't think the proposed type of packages can
> > > ever be a part of stable. I guess it should be like: use unstable for
> > > just those packages, and stable for all the rest.
>
> >  Well, woody will be the first stable release to support pinning, and this
> > looks like an excellent application for it.  Still, unless you can put
> > rsync:// URLs in sources.list, it won't solve everything.  rsync or
> > something similar would save a lot of traffic for this kind of thing.
> > Unfortunately, it's probably too late to integrate rsync into the whole apt
> > system, so it can rsync stuff in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Well, still binary patching could be implemented (although, in a rather
osbscure way) using pre-install scripts which would patch the definition
files. However, this would require two packages providing the same
version of the definition files (a patch package and a complete
new-version package) and a whole lot of patch packages dangling around.
So I guess I am writing nonsense.

> First thing's first:  we need to have people regularly updating these
> data packages before we should worry about whether we have the resources
> to distribute them effectively.  Though rsync might make things nicer
> for end-users on low-speed connections, I think it'll be a long time
> before this archive will come anywhere near the bandwidth requirements
> for even a single site that publically mirrors unstable or testing.

Understood. Maybe I am more a person of thinking than of practice. This
is working on the ToDo list. (I'm not sure it is that hard to add an
rsync method to dpkg, though).

Have a nice coding,
--
Pav