Re: Emailing: msg00036

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 12:31:47PM -0500, Mary E. Byrd wrote:
> Could you please remove this page and all others related to it from your
> website.  I did not know I was spamming I didn't even know what spamming
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't believe you, because your original mail ended in "Note: This
is a one-time email".  So even if you were not familiar with the term
"spam", you had the apprehension that it was not accepted behaviour.

Here is the original post:

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200204/msg00030.html>

As to your request to remove the evidence of your faux-pas: It is in the
hands of the mailing list administrators of the Debian Project.

Even if I were a member of the project (which I am not, though I do
contribute a little), I would not dream of asking them to remove one of
my posts from the lists, not even if I had written it while drunk and
hallucinating, and were were now embarrassed by it.

That you, a definite non-contributor, ask them to perform such an action,
is in my eyes quite arrogant. That you use a different email account,
or let your secretary do the typing for you in this matter, is in my
eyes a sign of cowardice.  You goofed, so you should clean up the mess
in your own name.

I would welcome it if the list admins just ignored your request.

> was until this individual unkindly let me know about it.  All I was
> doing was my job and I thought the internet would be a great tool.  I
> apologized and promise I won't do it again since I now know it offends
> some individuals.

Well, there is more:

  Debian mailing list advertising policy

  This policy is intended to fight mailing-list "spamming".

  The Debian mailing lists accept commercial advertising for payment. The
  fee for advertisments is a donation of USD 1000 or more to "Software in
  the Public Interest" (SPI). One donation per advertisement, please. If you
  prefer to pay in arrears, simply post your advertisement to the list, and
  the list operator will bill you USD 1999. The list operator will donate
  this amount, minus the expense of collecting it, to SPI. Please note
  that the lists are distributed automatically -- messages are generally
  not read or checked in any way before they are distributed.

  The act of posting an advertisement indicates your willingness to

      * accept responsibility for the fee,
      * indemnify the list operator against any legal claims from you or
        others in connection with your advertisement, and
      * pay any legal and business expenses incurred in collecting late payment.

  Our liability to you is limited to a good-faith effort to deliver your message.

  Reduced rates and/or waiver of fee are available for Debian-related
  advertisements. You must consult the list operator in advance of posting
  for any reduction or fee waiver.

> Best Regards,
>
> Dale R. Joaquin
> Southwest Century Communications, Inc.

I hope the project will enforce this policy. Even if they don't, I'd
suggest that you donate the fee for your advertisement - because then
I will be able to recommend your product again. While I am not in a
position to decide, I am consulted by my employers when new components
are evaluated. And while I currently live and work in Switzerland,
that may not be the case indefinitely.

Florian Weps

--
Ben> I don't think anybody has done a Intercal machine yet, since Intercal is
Ben> not exactly the #1 langauge to program in.
Paul> Intel has one, but few seem to want to buy it for some odd reason.
                      -- Ben Franchuk and Paul Repacholi in comp.sys.dec (2002)