Re: Little things make the initial install experience painful

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:

> Big "how to write a debconf question" clue-stick time. Listen up.
...>>good advice snipped<<...

I still fear that despite the good advice, the questions will be unreadable
by anyone other the maintainer. The Debian maintainer usually knows the
source code by heart, and can quote chapter and verse. This translates
into an impossibility to understand a "user perspective".

Solution? People who are interested can read over templates (this could
be automated, I guess -- templates are in known places in the .deb file)
and file bugs on bad templates.

> So when is exim going to be converted to debconf? Hmmm? Yeeeesh. I think
> that we should require that the MTA, whatever it is, for woody+1, use
> debconf for its configuration. It's a huge UI glitch in the installation
> that this one peice uses ancient echo+read UI. Hint: postfix uses
> debconf. :-P

As a die-hard postfix user: NO. Don't change the default Debian MTA once
again. It is better to fix exim. Even better, if the questions can be
standardized (and all >=high questions can and should be), switching MTAs
would keep a configuration the same (as far as the big-picture stuff
is).