Re: Accepted freetype 2.1.1-2 (i386 source)

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:38:28PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:32:13 -0400
> Anthony Fok <foka@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >    * Up'ed versioned dependency to libfreetype6 (>= 2.1.1) because 2.1.1
> >      introduced some changes that is binary incompatible (but source
> >      compatible) with previous versions, and Pango needs to be recompiled.
>
> Why isn't the soname bumped up ?

Not sure; it wasn't bumped up upstream, and it seems libfreetype6 is still
binary compatible in just about all ways.  I think the only affected binary
was libpango because it uses a custom cache class, as below?

    - The cache sub-system has been optimized in important ways.  Cache hits
      are now significantly faster.  For example, using the CMap cache is
      about twice faster than calling FT_Get_Char_Index on most platforms.
      Similarly, using an SBit cache is about five times faster than loading
      the bitmaps from a bitmap file, and 300 to 500 times faster than
      generating them from a scalable format.

      Note that you should recompile your sources if you designed a custom
      cache class for the FT2 Cache subsystem, since the changes performed
      are source, but not binary, compatible.

Nevertheless, Akira TAGOH has recompiled libpango, and all is well again.

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling