Re: FWD: cyrus-imapd outdated

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Joey Hess wrote:
> Not sure why this went to me really..

Certain truths are better left unknown :^)

Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@dff.st> wrote:
> I'd like to propose to update the cyrus-imapd package ASAP. Currently
[...]
> IIRC we have been using version the stable version 1.6.24 now for about
> 1-2 years.

Yes, Cyrus 1.6 is very stable and well documented in the IMAP book from
O'Reilly.

> Version 2.x also has a stable/unstable branch. I'd propose also to provide
> the cyrus21 package (which is the stable version of the 2.x branch) with
> woody!

cyrus21-imapd is in Sid.  As the Cyrus IMAPd 2.1 maintainer, I have judged
that both Cyrus 2.1.4 and the packaging were not stable enough for Debian
stable at the time they could have entered Woody. So I have intentionally
blocked it from entering the testing distribution until I deem it ready for
production use.

Upstream does not support any of the 1.x or the 2.0 branches anymore.

The packages are mostly stable now, and I believe all quirks have been
flushed out. Cyrus 2.1 itself should be production-quality for moderate
loads (that require no better db backends than Berkeley DB 3), but patches
that fix potential problems are hitting CVS daily.

However, until I can trust the "skiplist" database backend of Cyrus, and the
machinery needed for database backend switch; as well as the whole database
recovery path of Cyrus 2.1 (which is _not_ completed yet upstream, at least
not the documentation), I am not allowing this package into testing. And I
want the bug causing #145776 and #149665 tracked down and fixed before I let
the package in testing, as well.

There is also the trouble with SASL 2.1, which is not very stable yet.

So, if you want new Cyrus, get the Sid package, and good luck. It works very
well for some, and not at all for a few.

  Henrique Holschuh