Re: SuSE, Caldera, Connectiva and TurboLinux to do a new distribution togerther?

First of all, even being the best system out there, Debian has an
infinite way to go before it is _perfect_. There is always room for
impovement, and luckily we don't have monopoly to innovation :)

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 04:53:15PM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> The magic comes from high quality packages.

Packages quality is important, but is not the only single contributor to
overall quality. Infrastructure and community are also important.

> High quality packages come from Debian policy.

Definitely a stretch: policy is very important, but not the only, or
even deciding factor.

> Seems that other distributions (including mentioned ALT Linux) have no
> well-defined documents about how packages should be organized. So
> thier quality is poor.

Not that I think that ALT's quality is significantly worse that ours,
but here I will agree with you: they definitely need to formalize their
practices and procedures into a set of documents, I've already told them
and they generally agree. I think as their number of packages and
developers grows, they will be forced to do that, as even now (at ~2000
packages and <100 developers) their quality is degrading.

--
Dmitry Borodaenko