Re: The New Security Build Infrastructure

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 09:42:05PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 09:13:47PM +1000, Jason Thomas wrote:
> > So if practice does not match policy one should change.
>
> Popular meme, that; but being popular doesn't make it right.
>
> We've got a fairly simple choice, we can either spend all our time
> fighting about whether a pedantic and annoyed reading of every document
> we produce matches precisely with what we do at all times, or we can
> get on with our lives and produce the best operating system we can.
>
> Have you read the social contract, btw? It says:
Its part of becoming a debian developer, although I'd forgotten what it
exactly says.

> 	3. We Won't Hide Problems
>
> 	We will keep our entire bug-report database open for public view
> 	at all times. Reports that users file on-line will immediately
> 	become visible to others.
>
> The heading that you claim to be misunderstanding seems pretty well
> explained by the text underneath to me.
Do we take the text underneath to be the exactly what is meant by the
title.

I think its fair to assume it is a guideline and nothing more.

> But again, the things that make Debian better are better software and
> the tools and processes leading to that. Tweaking the language in the
> social contract seems to me to have remarkably little to do with that.
I agree, the whole argument is a waste of time and I'm sorry
for wasting yours.

But as for greping available to see if someones suggeston/comment is
worthy, thats just stupid. Users don't have to be developers, and they
have every right to make suggestions. I was always told the only dumb
question is the one you don't ask.