Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

* Matt Zimmerman (mdz@debian.org) [020618 09:14]:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 09:42:53AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>
> > I'm surprised that nobody in this thread mentionned the work of
> > wookey on emdebian. It provides a packaged ARM cross compiler.
>
> To be honest, I had not planned on doing much cross-compiling, since the
> idea behind this project is to leverage the existing software and build
> infrastructure in Debian.

Oh definately, but for rebuilding .debs repeatedly, a 1500MHz intel
proc with gobs of memory beats a 200MHz ARM with only 32megs of
memory, hands down.

> However, for building the kernel repeatedly, it would definitely be nice to
> be able to leverage some additional processing power.  I will definitely
> look into emdebian's cross-compiler setup, thanks.

As mentioned 8minutes vs. (I'm guessing) 40 minutes(?)+ is much
nicer.

BTW: The Embedian.org site hasn't been updated since October of last
year, if it's not a sleeping project, the pulse is rather subdued.
There is activity on the mailing list, though.

Ciao!

--
"You know, if you shoot me, you're liable to lose a lot of those
humanitarian awards."

The Doctor What: A really hip dude               http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC