potential future namespace clash (Policy 2.3.1)

Hi,
On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 08:07:50PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 11:58:46AM -0700, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> > Current usage for GNUstep applications in Debian seems to be to use a
> > lowercased version of the name and to remove the ".app" if any. For
> > example,
> >
> >            GWorkspace.app      -> gworkspace
> >            Preferences.app     -> preferences
> >            Affiche.app         -> affiche
> >            GNUmail.app         -> gnumail
> >            GSDict.app          -> gsdict
>
> Hm. This seems a shame.
> Perhaps I should have said "potential future namespace clash". Certainly
> it seems to encourage people to install the "terminal" package in the
> belief that it's generic, unless they read the package description
> carefully.

I agree. Common sense tells me that no ordinary package shall use any
word in "dict".  (Maybe these names are OK for virtual package but no
particular program should use it.)

In that sense, "affiche", "preferences", and "terminal" are not
acceptable.

  Affiche \Af`fiche"\, n. [F., fr. afficher to affix.]
     A written or printed notice to be posted, as on a wall; a
     poster; a placard.

I think this is not GNUstep policy issue but general issue of package
name convention.  "2.3.1 The package name" section in Policy may need to
be modified to explicitly forbidding the use of common words as the name
for the normal package if any other place already defined this.

Osamu
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.