Re: dpkg can't remove directories

In linux.debian.devel, you wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-11 at 07:45, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> Contrary to an earlier post, doing remove then purge doesn't
>> work either: the config file is removed by the purge, but the
>> rest of the files are still there.
>>
>> > If the latter, ignore the message.  dpkg prints it, but it does
>> > remove the dir during purge.
>>
>> Nope -- the files are still there.
>
> This probably means that files which dpkg doesn't know about (ie not
> conffiles) are still there, and the package maintainer scripts have not
> tried to delete them.

How does dpkg decide which files it "knows about"?  dpkg -L
lists all of them after the install, and  dpkg -c lists them in
the .deb file.

> Personally, I wish that there was a better way of keeping track of these
> files, but currently there isn't[1].

dpkg is keeping track of them.  It knows they're there, and it
knows what package they belong to.  And it seems to delete the
files (the directories _are_ empty when I go look at them).

I can delete them in a pre-remove script, but how do I know
which files I have to delete and which ones dpkg will take care
of?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  But was he mature
                                  at               enough last night at the