Can I bring dhcpcd back from the dead?

dhcpcd was removed from Woody, for what the maintainer described as "upstream, packaging, and security bugs".

My experience is that dhcpcd is actually a pretty useful DHCP client: it works for me and is easy to configure.

I'd like to have a go at bringing the package back up to snuff and fixing the bugs. The current maintainer is happy for me to do this, I've been studying diffs, and I can't see any showstoppers. The upstream is still actively maintained.

The question is: is this a sensible thing to do? Please could anybody who knows of any nasty problems with DHCPcd _not_ in the BTS get in touch with me? I'm especially worried about the security aspect: I can only find one widely known security hole, shell metachars in the .info file. If that isn't patched upstream I'll make sure it is in the debian version.

Comments, please?

Cheers,

Simon.