hardware detection libraries

Hi,
I have been looking into hardware detection in the last days and would like
to hear some opinions from the Debian developers. I would like to integrate
some sort of hardware detection in a configuration tool I am writing at the
moment. It seems like there are at least three choices:

a) libdetect (Mandrake)
b) kudzu (RedHat)
c) discover (Progeny)

a) libdetect
Written in c, API is ok, some ducumentation, basically easy understandable.
Unfortunately doesn't seem to be actively maintained anymore. Maybe the
Authors consider it finished. Hardware lists (pcitbles...) are outdated but
new (diffenent format) ones are available from the Mandrakes CVS server
together with a new version/new API with no docs. Confusing.

b) kudzu
Written in c, API not as nice as libdetect, no docs, but used in knoppix.

c) discover
Forked version of libdetect by progeny, also outdated.

Which one should I choose? On first sight it seems like kudzu is a slightly
better option than libdetect/discover.

regards,
Marc