Re: Strange dpkg problem with latest doc-linux-html upgrade

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, [iso-8859-1] Jérôme Marant wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I dist-upgraded my system in the morning and dpkg hasn't been
>> able to upgrade the new version of doc-linux-html: dpkg
>> suddenly hang everlastingly and I've never been able to kill it.
>>
>> Please note that I had to relaunch the upgrade since I experienced
>> a segmentation fault from dpkg just before.
>>
>> Is anyone aware of such problems?
>
> What version of dpkg and doc-linux-html?  All the versions before, during,
> and after the upgrade.

  dpkg is 1.9.21.

I can reproduce the scenario (sorry the first part is in French but it
shouldn't be difficult to match with the English version) :

chinon:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
  liblcms1 liblcms1-dev
28 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/20.9MB of archives. After unpacking 3890kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Lecture de la base de données... 92756 fichiers et répertoires déjà installés.)
Préparation du remplacement de doc-linux-html 2002.05-1 (en utilisant .../doc-linux-html_2002.06-1_all.deb) ...
Dépaquetage de la mise à jour de doc-linux-html ...
dpkg-deb: sous-processus paste tué par le signal (Relais brisé (pipe))
localepurge: processing locale files ...
localepurge: processing man pages ...
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg received a segmentation fault.
chinon:~$ LC_ALL=C sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
chinon:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
chinon:~$ LC_ALL=C sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
  liblcms1 liblcms1-dev
28 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/20.9MB of archives. After unpacking 3890kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 92756 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace doc-linux-html 2002.05-1 (using .../doc-linux-html_2002.06-1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement doc-linux-html ...

Then it hangs.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

--