Re: 2.4.18-686 freezes on a Dell Inspiron 4100 (but not 2.4.18-bf2.4)

#include <hallo.h>
Svante Signell wrote on Thu Jun 06, 2002 um 12:47:37AM:

>  > linux-laptops.org and other places), and it was due to the LOCAL_APIC
>  > being enabled in the kernel. That is, make sure you disable SMP support,
>  > and when you do so, 'make menuconfig' should show the LOCAL_APIC option,
>  > Disable it, since it seems the 4100 has some problem with it.
>  >
>  > As soon as I did that, everything worked perfectly.
>  >

> Thanks for your prompt reply. This means that the Debian supplied
> kernel cannot be used, and I have to compile a custom version. It's OK

No, you can tell "noapic" at the boot prompt or while the installation
and it will work. BTW: recent installation kernel releases have
LOCAL_APIC again. Unfortunately, some other braindead hardware requires
local-APIC to work at all, so this kernel function will not be removed.

For DELL users, there is an extra hint about noapic in the boot screens,
should be enough.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
begin  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
I am a signature virus. Distribute me until the bitter