Re: Mozilla & Galeon updates in sid

> I think it would be a good idea if galeon's and mozilla's maintainers
> work together to release news versions of their packages at the same
> time.

First of all: we DO.
But we need the new mozilla package _before_ building galeon...

> Indeed there is a regular problem after mozilla's updates :
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   galeon
> The following packages will be upgraded
>   libnspr4 mozilla-browser

The problem is that you use dist-upgrade, not plain upgrade.
"apt-get upgrade" will just not install the new mozilla until the new
galeon is available.

> Each version of Galeon depends of a particular version of Mozilla.
> So new mozilla's package breaks galeon depends, and dist-upgrade
> wants to remove galeon's package.

This is correct, because galeon WILL break with the new mozilla version
installed. So either you keep the old mozilla or you uninstall the old
galeon.
If you run "apt-get upgrade" it will favour keeping old mozilla to
removing galeon; "apt-get dist-upgrade" favours installing new mozilla
and removing galeon.

> What do you think about this ? Synchronize the updates, or create a
> second mozilla's package for galeon of mozilla would be a solution,
> isn't it ?

Using "apt-get upgrade" or not tracking the bleeding edge is the more
practicable alternative...

Gruss,
Erich Schubert

--
erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)        --        GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.