Re: Uninstallable packages in woody

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:18:51PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Santiago Vila wrote:
> > > I believed this was never supposed to happen, since the scripts that
> > > create testing make sure that all dependencies may be met within testing.
> >
> > Those scripts make sure things don't get worse, existing cruft from
> > potato still exists.

Numerically worse, of course. I understand (from observation) that it's
possible for a package to be upgraded and make something else
uninstallable when it also makes other formerly uninstallable packages
installable. (In other words, as long as the net situation gets no
worse.)

> Really? When are we going to fix existing cruft from potato, then?
> Will woody+1 inherit the cruft from woody, which inherits the cruft
> from potato, forever again?

It's clear from http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/ that woody is
quite a bit better than potato, installability-wise.