Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 11:27:50PM +1200, James Kahn wrote:
> Harder, if not impossible to get real results.  Tests would either be
> subjective - "It just *feels* faster" - or have a high signal to noise
> ratio.

Not really. You create a benchmark of actual applications and compare
the results to the non-optimized applications. You run the tests a
number of times and see what happens. This isn't unheard of--a lot of
windows benchmarks, for example, actually run MS office apps, or video
games, or whatever--which is much more useful for most people than
reporting how fast a given machine can do fourier transforms. If the
results are only noise, well, I guess that answers the question. :)

--
Mike Stone