Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On May 26, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2002, Chris Lawrence wrote:
>
> > Of course, the obvious solution is to amend Policy to specify in 11.4
> > that command -v must work in the shell... or to get zsh to implement
> > command -v.  i.e. fix one package instead of 600+
>
> We are still fucked, however.
>
> Packages that have command -v in their maintainer scripts will have to have a
> versioned conflict on all zshs before the one that implements command -v.
> This increases the work of dpkg and apt.

We're not fucked if zsh truly doesn't comply to the latest POSIX.
BTW, I looked it up; SuS v3 is IEEE Std 1003.1-2001.  At least -v is
specified as optional, but I haven't a clue about the rest of zsh's
compliance to the standard.

I guess the solution for woody+1 is to modify policy and to tell
people "DON'T DO THAT" and/or require the shell called /bin/sh to
support the User Portability Utilities option (which includes -v).  Or
to just change all these maintainer scripts to use /bin/bash, which
would piss off the acolytes of ash, pdksh and zsh, but at least would
stop these distractions in the future.

The solution for woody is to tell people DON'T DO THAT.  Put it in the
release notes if you like.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/