Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On May 25, Clint Adams wrote:
> Below is a list of packages that may use 'command -v' in their #!/bin/sh
> postinsts.  Section 11.4 of Policy states that /bin/sh can be a symlink
> to any POSIX-compatible shell, with an exception for 'echo', and that
> package #!/bin/sh scripts must not use "non-POSIX" features.  Since
> there is no 'command' binary in a package marked Essential,
> the use of 'command -v' is a policy violation.

Can someone with access to SUSv3 (aka POSIX 1.(something or
other)2001) confirm that command -v is not mandated by that iteration
of POSIX.1?  My understanding is that this iteration of POSIX
integrates all of POSIX with the SUS, so if command -v is in *either*
it will be in the latest POSIX specification.

Of course, the obvious solution is to amend Policy to specify in 11.4
that command -v must work in the shell... or to get zsh to implement
command -v.  i.e. fix one package instead of 600+

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765