Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 03:42:40PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> Other than ignoring this problem, solutions include
>
> 1) Filing 616 serious bugs against these packages so that the maintainer
> can either change the script interpreter to something other than /bin/sh
> or remove the offending 'command -v'

I would file the bugs to change the script and not to change the interpreter.
Maintainers can achive the same goal of 'command' with either 'type' or
'which'.

> 2) Amending policy with another /bin/sh exception.

This is not absolutely necessary.

> 3) Writing a 'command' program which will go into an Essential package,
> then filing bugs against all packages that use 'command -v' without
> specifying the absolute path to said 'command'.

I would consider this as a patch to a problem, not a real solution.

Thanks for your work, Clint.

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have