PGI and debian-installer (was: [RFC] New keymap/language configuration system.)

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 05:26:34PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Well, for one thing: PGI requires a hell of a lot more available RAM than
> d-i. Using PGI as a default installer would practically rule out the
> possibility of installing an m68k-based system.

I don't know that that is true for PGI's textmode installation method.

The requirements listed in the PGI manuals are largely speculative.  I
have done no rigorous analysis of PGI's memory consumption (I don't
count a few "free -m"s as rigorous).

> Not to mention the fact that PGI, being a 'smart' installer, requires more
> maintenance than an installer such as d-i. With eleven architectures to
> maintain, this is a pain (which is probably the reason why PGI does not
> support all architectures).

This observation is true, but Progeny attempted to write PGI in as
flexible and modular a fashion as possible.

The reason PGI doesn't support all architectures simply that no one has
yet done the work.  PGI started life on i386 since it is a lineal
descendant of the Progeny Debian installer, which was an i386-only
product.  A client of Progeny's was interested in ia64 support in the
Progeny Debian installer, so we designed PGI.

Jimmy Kaplowitz, Chris Tillman, and Jan-Hendrik Palic are working with
me on a PowerPC port, though we're all kind of stuck until GNU Parted
gets a little more aggressive with Apple partition map support.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Never underestimate the power of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      human stupidity.