Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

    Nick> That doesn't make it a bad binary.

So a binary that throw illegal instruction traps is still a good binary?

    Nick> I don't know what planet you're on, but I wouldn't expect
    Nick> something I explicitly built for a K7 to run on a
    Nick> PIII. There's nothing special about x86 architecture that
    Nick> magically enables older processors to understand newer
    Nick> instruction sets...

Th difference is that using -march in the x86 instruction superset
results more in instruction sequence reordering than it does in
unsupported opcodes, mainly because the more obscure opcodes don't add
much from a peromance perspective.  Integer multiplication (one of the
most obvious differences between SPARC V7 & SPARC V8) is a little more
common.

All that said, your right, no architecture is forward compatible.

--
Stephen