Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 12:38:27AM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> If we do provide the ability for users to compile their own CPU optimised
> binaries, then how can it be a bad thing ?

Well, every user may apt-get source his favourite package and modify
debian/rules. This isn't optimal but global CFLAGS for _all_ packages
are impossible even on one architecture like i386. Some programs
simply won't work when optimized due to compiler errors.

> Would it be bad if their binaries are only marginally more efficient ?

You can waste as much CPU time as you want on you machine, but just
don't use a .d.o machine to build optimized versions. And please
imagine the waste of diskspace if every package was uploaded with ---
oops, lost the track of newest instuctions sets -- at least 4
different versions as the kernel images already are (which makes sense
for this special package)?

> The only "cost" involved is that it would require us to be more organised.

Please stop saying "we have to do something", do something
yourself. Please think up a plan on how to accomplish an "Optimized
Debian" distribution. Talk to the ftp-masters and admins about your
plan. Discuss it with us. Then we'll maybefind your idea
attractive. Otherwise, please stop the thread.

CU
    Thimo

--
Thimo Neubauer <thimo@debian.org>