Re: CPU specific/optimized Debian builds ?

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 09:34:08PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002 13:21:34 +0100
> Roger Leigh <rl117@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > It would be nice one day if you /could/ rebuild the entirety of Debian.
>
> I am rebuilding it.

> > think one way of getting this to work is rebuilding old packages during
> > autobuilder idle time.  If I understand correctly, for each uploaded
> > package, it will only be built once for each arch.  If the packages are
> > slowly rebuilt automatically, it will catch non-buildable source and
> > policy violations if it's old and not updated for years.
>
> I am already doing it.

Great!  During my time trying, I certainly found and reported quite a lot
of bugs just by hand-building the packages.  This even included fairly
common shared libraries determining their shlibs files from the
_installed_ version of the library, so you had to build, install and
rebuild to get a valid package!  I'm sure that your efforts doing this
will improve Debian greatly.

--
Roger Leigh
                ** Registration Number: 151826, http://counter.li.org **