Re: [RFC] New keymap/language configuration system.

На 21 май 2002 (вторник) в 17:51 часа Wartan Hachaturow писа:

> As you may see, current console-common is buggy ;). And in most cases
> these bugs are due to some debconf's database breakage (possibly made
> by previous versions of console-*, or some debconf upgrade, or..), or
> the complicatedness of the current console-common (which has been
> patched very ugly sometimes).

Can you provide more information -- some bug numbers, etc.  I'd like
to see what exactly happens.

> I have an idea to create a debconf-independent subsystem, that would only
> note the user via debconf that it would install some defaults, and
> that he/she can edit the settings by hand/via some utility.

I think that this is aceptable only as last resort.  Debconf is an
important part of our installation system.  It won't be nice if Debian
will be the only distribution in the world which installation doesnt
configure the keyboard.  There are also many non-qwerty keyboards.
If you use some of them there are no acceptable defaults -- the keyboard
must be configured as soon as possible.

> As for the X configuration, I'm personally against this, since that
> could reduce the general flexibility, but I've recieved some queries to
> implement this.

The X keyboard can be configured in many different ways, you have many
This flexibility will be greatly improved in future (I know that X
developers work actively on this). if X lacks some feature it can be
possibly easy implemented.  I know how to write keyboard descriptions for
X and I will help if that is needed.

On the other hand the console configuration tool can easily do the same
as X.  Look for example at files /usr/share/console-cyrillic/option-*.kmap
from the package console-cyrillic.

Anton Zinoviev

zinoviev@debian.org