Re: root partition and ext3

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 11:09:38AM +0200, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:19:14AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Sorry for bothering you. I know this has been a thread on debian-devel
> > > already. I followed parts of it, but did not get a clear understanding
> > > of what to do. My installed kernel is kernel-image-2.4.18-5-686.
> > >
> > > After successful transfer of all partitions to ext3, using tune2fs -j
> > > /dev/sda?, I thought everything was OK, also for the root
> > > partition. But its NOT! While having both ext2 and ext3 as modules, as
> > > with kernel-2.4.18-5, the root partition is mounted as ext2, not
> > > ext3. This has been verified when rebooting after problems with
> > > shutdown (especially with upgrading glibc etc) when the root partition
> > > is uncleanly unmounted.  How to resolve this, the fstab entry is
> > > useless since it's on the not yet mounted on the / partition...?  I
> > > assume mounting of the root partition is taken care of by the kernel..
> > >
> > > mount
> > > /dev/sda1 on / type ext3,ext2 (rw)
> > >
> > > cat /etc//fstab:
> > > /dev/sda1       /              ext3,ext2   defaults              0      1
> >
> > What happens is, the kernel will try the first module (from initrd) that
> > can mount the partition. It just happens to find ext2 first.
> > You need to put a line
> >
> >     ext3
> >
> > in your /etc/mkinitrd/modules, and remove any line saying
> >
> >     ext2
> >
> > (all your partitions are ext3, right?). Then, rerun mkinitrd. Read man
> > mkinitrd first.
>
> This is wrong. Check:
>
> 	http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=135537&repeatmerged=yes
>
> for a discussion and a proposed solution.
> *t

Interesting bug. I did not know this.
However, apparantly this happens when ext2 is compiled in, and ext3 is a
module. OP has both ext2 and ext3 as modules, as did I when I used this,
so I would guess my solution to be correct for this case, anyway. It
worked for me when I used the stock 2.4.17 kernel (-686, probably,
though I'm not sure).

--
Matijs van Zuijlen

    ... designed to fill holes or cracks of not more than two cubic vims.
			    -- Robert Sheckley, Untouched by Human Hands