Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:31:01PM +0200, Wolfgang Jährling wrote:
> I certainly have never ever before seen a distribution as coherent as
> Debian; but it is easy for you to say that Debian GNU/Hurd should follow
> the rules of Debian and not attempt to change them,

NO! That is not what it means. It means that the changes should be
attempted *through the established procedures for changing things in
debian, not by creating a seperate set of rules for debian/hurd.*
Generating consensus with other groups in debian to change general
policy points is a valid approach. Saying "we're going to make our own
debian policy because we don't like your debian policy is not a valid
approach. Yes it's hard to gain consensus, but that doesn't mean you
should give up if you think you're right.

> And please also note that (as has been said before) the GNU/Hurd people
> have been hoping to make a release inside of Debian, and some have even
> been hoping that Debian GNU/Hurd might become _the_ GNU system.

That's probably misguided. Debian and GNU are seperate organizations, if
sharing some common goals and components, and their
objectives/philosophies do differ in some key areas. That is probably
insurmountable, and I encourage the growth of a GNU OS that's controlled
*soley* by GNU people, if they want an OS that doesn't have to make
compromises. I think that would make some people on both sides happier.
This is not to exclude the possibility of a debian/hurd, but to keep
people from being surprised & disappointed that debian/hurd != gnu.

--
Mike Stone