Re: Bandwidth monitoring

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 10:06:05AM +1000, Brian May wrote:

> CISCO
>         * "Pick up a cheap Cisco router from a failing ISP and export
>           its flow statistics?"
>         * All my ISDN DOV data goes through a CISCO router at the remote
>           end, and I have access to it, but I don't have a clue how to
>           use this flow stuff, or what is capabilities are...

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/netflow/

for the marketing spiel

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/intsolns/netflsol/nfwhite.htm

for how to set it up.  Basically, the router does the accounting for you,
and can export the data to another system for analysis, archival, etc.
There is at least one free tool for receiving the data (cflowd):

http://www.caida.org/tools/measurement/cflowd/

That site also has a lot of netflow information.  It is overkill for what
you want, but you get it almost for free if you have access to the router
anyway.

--
 - mdz