Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:06:57PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:42:25AM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > On 30 years old operating systems like unix it might be. Modern
> > operating systems like GNU/Hurd don't need a firewall. It even gives
> > everybody a login shell when they telnet in without any problems.
>
> Uh, well, with the problem of setting up the no user id flags in the
> filesystem, and with the problem of Denial Of Service attacks.
>
> The feature you described will not be the default for incoming remote
> connections.
>
> But if you are referring to the no-user-id, then that one is useful
> unrelated to telnet.  It makes it possible for a server to drop all
> permissions and raise them later as needed.

When a user doesn't want to have security we should make that possible
IMHO. There should be a security level "none" or "very very low". I
have yet to see a reason why this should be impossible.

Read about ITS, having no security can be practical. The nice thing
about the Hurd is that it can have a very, very high security or no
security at all depending on how you configure it.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org