Re: Debian pkg System

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 09:21:10PM -0700, zephyr wrote:

> I needed a particular library file which I located at your site. It had the
> ".deb" extension. After a little research, I found that I needed a utility by
> the name of "dpkg". This I found at your site but it also had a ".deb"
> extension. The documentation for "dpkg" had the same ".deb" extension.
> This appears to be a "Catch 22" situation. The "dpkg" and "dpkg.doc" files need
> to be made available for downloading in uncompressed form so that people can
> understand and utilize them.

you are in luck! you can manipulate .deb's using _standard_ UNIX tools,
ar, tar, and gunzip. if you do not have a gunzip, then you should be
able to find it on your local FSF mirror.

ar p dpkg_1.9.20_i386.deb data.tar.gz | gunzip |  tar tf -

(replace dpkg_1.9.20_i386.deb with the actual .deb that contains your
desired library.)

you can either replace the tf with xf if you want to extract the whole
thing, or you can use tf - <pathname_of_specific_file>

check your man pages for the _exact_ syntax for _exactly_ what you want
to do.

-john