Re: Debian pkg System

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 09:21:10PM -0700, zephyr wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I'm sure this is just an oversite.
> I needed a particular library file which I located at your site. It had the
> ".deb" extension. After a little research, I found that I needed a utility by
> the name of "dpkg". This I found at your site but it also had a ".deb"
> extension. The documentation for "dpkg" had the same ".deb" extension.
> This appears to be a "Catch 22" situation. The "dpkg" and "dpkg.doc" files need
> to be made available for downloading in uncompressed form so that people can
> understand and utilize them.

Dpkg is the package system for the Debian Operating System (generally
Linux based). If you do not already have a Debian system in place, then
our pre-built .deb packages will probably be of little use to you.

Dpkg is not a compression utility. It is an installation and package
management system.

Find the upstream download site for the library you need. You will not
have much luck trying to retrofit your system to use dpkg.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/