Re: hurd does NOT need /hurd

Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:

> On 19 May 2002, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>
> > The other is the RPC interfaces that the servers use to talk to each
> > other.  These are basically static, and don't change except by
> > extension.
>
> You can't honestly expect this to always be the case.  No one can implement
> everything perfectly the first time around.

Um, actually we can!  Because we have experience with how it works.

We can extend the interface at liberty without breaking compatibility
at all.  That's just a property of the way the RPC interfaces work.
Also, the names of interface functions are not part of the RPC
interface itself, but only of the library ABI interface.

As a result, a new RPC can be added without breaking the old RPCs at
all.  Indeed, it can even take over the name of the old RPC.  The
result is then that the library ABI changes--and it is versioned--but
the RPC itself doesn't need a versioning.

Thomas