Re: Mozilla/Galeon dotted y revisited

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 01:04:18PM +0200, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:

> Now, however, I've found a page that is encoded in UTF-8 and has the
> same problem: The unicode character 2019, which is the single end quote
> _in the standard_, is shown as the dotted-y.
>
> If I set 'use own fonts' (I use Galeon 1.2.0), the character is displayed
> correctly, even if the 'own font' I use is the same as the one requested
> by the page. Also, explicitely setting the encoding to UTF-8 doesn't
> help.
>
> Any suggestions? Anyone else seeing the same?

I get a similar problem reading russian fonts, regardless of actual encoding
(well, my tests were on KOI8-R).  Namely, the letter 'ё' ('yo') gets
rendered as '£' (english pound), while other letters were rendered
correctly.  After tracking the problem a little further, I came to the
conclusion that the problem was actually in the font used, whichever
was the one that mozilla uses by default.  It simply renders character
0xA4 as the russian letter 'yo' when in a KOI8-R character set.  0xA4 is
the english pound symbol in the latin1 charset.

Maybe Galeon is therefore not actually using the font you thought it was
using, but by default uses one of these broken fonts?

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A