Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 08:54:56PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Sun, 19 May 2002, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
>
> > You don't want to see it, do you? I want to know why this simple thing
> > has to take more than 3 weeks.
>
> What do you mean by "You don't want to see it?"

That you don't want to see that waiting and nothing being able to
continue development for more than 3 weeks is just bad.

> Do you know what the current situation is with the Debian release?  We were
> supposed to release on May 1.  It didn't happen, mainly due to having no
> security infrastructure.
>
> What this means, is that for each arch that is released with Debian, there
> must be a way for the security team to compile packages for it.  We have this
> for the arches in potato.  We do not have it for woody.
>
> We can't just upgrade the systems that run potato to woody, because then we
> wouldn't be able to do it for potato for the breif time it is still stable.
>
> Plus, there are lots of more arches for woody.

The problem here is just bureaucracy and not being able to plan. It
isn't that woody released that fast that they couldn't think about
this earlier.

> In short, to answer your question, right now is bad timing.  Period, plain and
> simple.  I really wish you would learn this very simple fact, it gets
> monotonous when we(everyone else) has to keep repeating it.

How many seconds does it take to add those damn packages to the
override file? Why can't just a Debian GNU/Hurd developer decide what
goes into Debian GNU/Hurd and what not?

This is just stupid bureaucracy which doesn't help anybody.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org