upgrading from hamm to woody

Yesterday I tried to upgrade one computer from hamm to
woody (don't ask), and I thought it would be interesting to
share my experience :-)
I inserted woody CD #1, ran dselect/update, then dselect/install.
Dselect complained with the message (more or less, I was not taking
notes):
error upgrading package libc6 to version  which was not found in Packages.gz file
                                       ^^^ see the 2 spaces

so I installed libc6 manually (dpkg -i), then re-ran dselect,
the same complan about libncurses... So I thought to myself I'd
install apt, new dpkg and dselect manually. It all came well,
I just had to install dependencies as well and remove some conflicting
packages (thus simulating apt's work), until one package conflicted with
sysvinit. A bit of warning: never remove sysvinit package :-)
After I manually (ar x) exctracted the new sysvinit, all went well
again.
When I had apt installed, I tried to do apt-get dist-upgrade, which
failed with advice to run apt-get -f install. This command installed a
few packages, and I then could run apt-get dist-upgrade. Upgrade failed
on bind9-host package having the same file as some other (I don't
remember which one). After purging bind9-host, update failed on
segfaulting modutils setup. Kernel 2.0, obviously.
I promptly install kernel-image 2.2.20, only to find out that lilo
refused to run. Further investigation showed up that boot.b is missing
from /boot. Copying boot.b.menu into that file corrected the
situation. Of course, depmod did not work until the reboot. After that,
another apt-get dist-upgrade upgraded a lot of packages, removing tetex
during the way, only to fail on "/etc/X11/Xresources is not a directory"
(or was it app-defaults?). So I deleted /etc/X11/Xresources and created
a directory with the same name, and the rest of install went more or
less smoothly (with several packages necessary to remove manually before)

In the end, I had functioning woody installation.
Next time, I'd try to upgrade bo to woody+1 :-)