Re: nomarch-1.2 - Problems with RLE patent 4,586,027

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 11:58:28AM +1200, Matthew Grant <grantma@debian.org> was heard to say:
>    Could you please withdraw the nomarch package from the main upload queue.
>    This thing belongs in non-free.

  If it violates a patent, shouldn't it be removed entirely?

>    Sorry about this. I have tried to be careful. Who would have thought that
>    such an obvious compression technique (Run Length Encoding - count number
>    of bytes in a row of same value, store count and byte value) is covered by
>    a software patent?

  Hm, don't SDL and OpenGL...errr, I mean, Mesa...both use RLE compression
to accelerate some blits?  Should we remove them too?

  I have to say that this patent is pretty despicable, even for a software
patent.  For people who didn't bother following the URL:

"The first one covers run length encoding in its most primitive form: a
 length byte followed by the repeated byte."

  Daniel, who thinks he "invented" that one sometime in junior high

|                              The Turtle Moves!                              |
\------- Listener-supported public radio -- NPR -- http://www.npr.org --------/