Re: httpd on install cd

Hi,

Jonas Meurer <jonas@freesources.org> writes:

> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 07:20:59PM +0200, Michael Welle wrote:
>> I do not know, if this was discussed before. What about having a small
>> pre-compiled httpd for the 11 debian platforms and some common OS
>> (Solaris etc.) on the install cd? With this, you need only a machine
>> with cdrom drive and some floppy disks (rescue, root, perhaps driver)
>> to install a new debian box. You do not need root access to the
>> machine with the cdrom drive. I guess, it takes less than 50 kB disk
>> space per supported platform. What do you think about this?
>
> Mh, you could argument for every software like this. You mean a life-cd?
Life cd means that I can run a linux from cd without installing
something on the hard disk? Hm, I do not mean this ;).

> Because on the debian dist-cd's you find apache I think. It's precompiled.
> I don't know on wich CD, but IMHO there is a webserver on the CD set.
> Would be taken aback if not.
You can install debian from a local cdrom drive. If you dont have a
local cdrom drive (only a remote one) you can install via nfs, http or
ftp. Therefore you need a httpd or ftpd. If you dont have one, you
must search for a httpd, install it, you need root access
etc. Burdensome. If there would be a pre-compiled httpd (perhaps
mini-httpd) without the need of configuration on the cd, that could
bind to an unprivileged port, you can just start it and begin the
install process. I dont know, how many people would like to see this
feature. Except me ;).

Michael