Re: Debian and old EGCS compilers

> The sysadmin really likes debian. So, I have the following questions.
>
> 1) Is there an egcs-2.91.66 binary for Debian?

If there is it would be in the slink era.

> 2) Are there any obvious issues with replacing gcc 2.95.4 with
> egcs-2.91.66? I suppose another translation of this question is: Can gcc
> 2.95.4 coexists with egcs-2..91.66 and how do you configure them to coexist?

getting gcc to co exist is not an easy task.  2.91 is really out of date, you
especially do not want it for C++ code.  Compiling the kernel or a few other
items may even fail.

Rather than a full install why not make a minimal RH system on a test machine
and then tar it up to be used as a chroot?  Compile what much be compiled in
there almost like a cross-compile setup.