Debian and old EGCS compilers

Hello,

I have  a Debian system with gcc 2.95.4. However, I need egcs-2.91.66 (egcs
1.1.2 release).

I have downloaded egcs-2.91.66 and have attempted to compile the source.
"Make all" gives me large numbers of errors related to objects that are
part of various libraries.

I have a software distribution that is supported on Red Hat Linux 6.1. The
goal would be to Make the distribution which requires egcs-2.91.66.

I have received several comments on the problem. Most of the comments
recommend that I load Red Hat Linux 6.1, since this is the supported
platform and the distribution is very complex with huge configure scripts.

I am not a "make" or "configure" guru.....

The sysadmin really likes debian. So, I have the following questions.

1) Is there an egcs-2.91.66 binary for Debian?

2) Are there any obvious issues with replacing gcc 2.95.4 with
egcs-2.91.66? I suppose another translation of this question is: Can gcc
2.95.4 coexists with egcs-2..91.66 and how do you configure them to coexist?

3) Any comments on the failed make of egcs-2.91.66?

John F. Richardson