Re: SPAM mails marking bugs as done?

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 02:08:49PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > An other one could be to check the From address when something is received
> > at an address that could modify the state of a bug as follows:
> > - If it's a @debian.org address or the maintainer of the package this bug
> >   is for, accept
> > - If this mail is not the first to this bug from this address, but it
> >   sent the first time to this bug less than a certain amount of time
> >   ago, drop
> > - If a mail has been sent to this particular bug from this particular
> >   address before, accept
> > - Everything else: drop.
> >
> > That would filter out most, I think, while not being too inconvenient to
> > people doing what they need to do or users filing bugs and submitting more
> > information. After all, unmangling emailaddresses is not impossible...
>   So we shouldn't allow people without a debian.org address to submit
> more information to a bug they didn't file unless they forge their From
> addresses?
>   You Must Be Joking.

That's why I explicitely mentioned 'when receiving a mail at an address
that could modify the state of a bug'.

I'm saying we shouldn't allow just about everyone to modify bugs by
sending some random mail to an address they can read on a website. People
that are already involved in a bug or Debian Developers can. Also, there's
still control@bugs.debian.org which won't modify bugs by sending any
random mail to it, and so which won't need this kind of protection.

wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"