Re: SPAM mails marking bugs as done?

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 02:08:49PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > An other one could be to check the From address when something is received
> > at an address that could modify the state of a bug as follows:
> > - If it's a @debian.org address or the maintainer of the package this bug
> >   is for, accept
> > - If this mail is not the first to this bug from this address, but it
> >   sent the first time to this bug less than a certain amount of time
> >   ago, drop
> > - If a mail has been sent to this particular bug from this particular
> >   address before, accept
> > - Everything else: drop.
> >
> > That would filter out most, I think, while not being too inconvenient to
> > people doing what they need to do or users filing bugs and submitting more
> > information. After all, unmangling emailaddresses is not impossible...
>
>   So we shouldn't allow people without a debian.org address to submit
> more information to a bug they didn't file unless they forge their From
> addresses?
>
>   You Must Be Joking.

That's why I explicitely mentioned 'when receiving a mail at an address
that could modify the state of a bug'.

I'm saying we shouldn't allow just about everyone to modify bugs by
sending some random mail to an address they can read on a website. People
that are already involved in a bug or Debian Developers can. Also, there's
still control@bugs.debian.org which won't modify bugs by sending any
random mail to it, and so which won't need this kind of protection.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"
  -- From the movie "Antitrust"