Postfix-tls and plaintext passwords

I take it postfix-tls as client does not try plaintext passwords per
default. According ot the docs this can be enabled by using

smtp_sasl_security_options =

in main.cf. But appearantly this does not work at all. As soon as my
machine makes a connection to my ISPs mailserver postfix ends the
connection since no AUTH is possible. The provider machine runs exim
3.22 and says AUTH PLAIN LOGIN.

Either I missed something, or this is a bug or at least some docs could
be added.

Michael

P.S.: Yes, I know plaintext is not a good idea, but don't tell me.
--
Michael Meskes
Michael@Fam-Meskes.De