Re: Editor Priorities

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 06:50:09PM +0200, Tore Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 02:39:57PM -0000, m@moshez.org wrote:
>
> > * Here is a list of criteria I offer as a beginning of discussion:
> >   * [Meta] Programmer-specific things are useless here. Programmers
> >     will run their favourite editor by explicit name.
> >   * Supports undo/redo +20
> >   * Supports pausing using ^Z +20
> >   * Can start typing without reading a manual +30
> >   * Start-up time not noticeable +30
> >   * Not free -50
> >   * Reads a global RC file +20
>
>     * Does not wrap lines per default +30

It is unix tradition to use $VISUAL,$EDITOR,vi

I dont think it is a good idea to break with this. If I set EDITOR I want a
specific editor cause I know how to operate it. If I dont set this variable
I expect my system to use vi.

Imagine how you would look if suddenly "ee" or "emacs" or whatever pops up
as an inline editor.

This is much les work and prevents users from beeing confused.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --