Re: ext3 root partition with kernel-image packages

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 12:23:34AM +0200, Tomas Pospisek's MailLists wrote:
> On Mon, 6 May 2002, Michael Stone wrote:
> > The specific mechanism isn't the hideous part. The hideous part is the
> > suggestion that the rootfs type be somehow hardcoded into a new
> > (debian-specific) mechanism in the initrd. That's not the current case,
> > nor should it be.  If that's not what that bug report was mean to
> > suggest, and the only point of the bug report was to switch from change
> > root to pivot_root, I don't understand how it's at all relevant to the
> > ext3 problem.
>
> Hmmm ... have you checked my followup to the bugreport in question? IMHO
> it's quite clear from it. But I may err.
> *t

Hmm...did you read what I said? I objected to hard coding the fs type
into the initrd (specifically, into the scripts run by the initrd.) So
how does your followup address that concern? (For reference, the
applicable part of your patch follows)

+# we want to have root mounted as ext3
+# we mount it to /sysroot
+mount -n -t ext3 /dev/hda5 /sysroot
+# we move root away from below of us to /sysroot/initrd
+pivot_root /sysroot /sysroot/initrd

--
Mike Stone