Re: draft release announcement

* Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org) wrote :
> (I'm Looking for corrections, suggestions, comments...)
>
> ***** THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT *****
> * Debian is NOT released! This is a DRAFT announcement *
> * for an UNRELEASED version of Debian. Go away.        *
> ***** THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT *****
>
> The Debian Project is pleased to announce the latest release of the
> Debian GNU/Linux Operating System. This release has been in
> development for approximately 18 months, and has been extensively
> [ XXX do I count correctly from potato's release? ]
> tested by several thousand end-users and developers.
>
> Debian GNU/Linux is a free Linux system. It is developed by nearly
> a thousand volunteers from all over the world who collaborate via the
> [ XXX 963, whether to round up or down is an open question.. ]

I think round to a thousand is going to be fine.

> Internet. Debian's dedication to free software, its non-profit nature,
> and its open development model make it unique among Linux
> distributions.
>
> This is the first version of Debian to feature cryptographic software
> integrated into the distribution, rather than as an optional add-on.
> Ssh and gnupg are included in the default install, and strong
> encryption is now present in web browsers, databases, XXX, and YYY.
> [ XXX fill in the blanks ]

Web servers...
> Further integration of crypto is planned for future releases.
>
> With the addition of the ia64, hppa, mips, mipsel, and s390 architectures,
> Debian GNU/Linux now supports a total of 10 architectures. It now runs on

11 Arches: alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390,
sparc

> computers ranging from game consoles to supercomputers, and nearly everything
> in between, including the latest generation of 64 bit machines.
> [ XXX those dreamstations and playcasts are mips boxen, right? I don't know
>   much about this area. ;-) ]

I thought dreamcasts were SH4, so not supported in woody?
Playstations? pass.

> For the first time, Debian comes with the KDE desktop environment. The GNOME
> desktop environment is upgraded to version 1.4, and X itself is upgraded to
> version 2.4. With mozilla 1.0rc1, galeon, and konquoror, this release of
4.1, as I said on IRC...

> Debian for the first time features a set of mature and very usable desktops
> and web browsers.
> [ XXX must watch and see if mozilla 1+rc1 gets in. Also, is that the right
>   way to refer to its version number? ]
>
> This version of Debian supports the 2.2 and 2.4 releases of the Linux
> kernel. Along with better support for a greater variety of new hardware
> (such as USB) and significant improvements in usability and stability, the
> 2.4 kernel provides support for the ext3 journaling filesystem.
> [ XXX That is supported by the 2.4 boot floppies by default, right? Please
>   verify. Also, an other FS's supported by default? reiser? ]

the BF24 image has ext3 and reiser, yes. (and the isolinux cd allows you to
build ext3 and reiser partitions during install).

> Debian GNU/Linux 3,0 features a more streamlined and polished
> installation, which is translated into several languages. The debconf tool
                                         ^^^^^^^
                                         numerous?

> is used to streamline configuration of the system. The task system has been
> revamped and made more flexible. Debian GNU/Linux can be installed from CD,
> or from the network and a few floppies. It can be obtained via FTP from
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/, and many mirrors, and will soon be
> available on CD-ROM from numerous vendors. CD Images may be downloaded now.
> [ XXX should I mention DVD? ]

Is it definitely happening?

> [ XXX this paragraph is supposed to link to various places. ]
>
> Upgrades to Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 from earlier releases are
> automatically handled by the apt package management tool. As always,
> Debian GNU/Linux systems can be upgraded painlessly, in place, with no
> downtime. For detailed documentation about installing and upgrading
> Debian GNU/Linux, please see the release notes.
> [ XXX link ]
>
> Current Debian users may be interested to know that this release of Debian
> supports build dependencies, to aid in building packages from source, and
> apt pinning, to ease partial upgrades to our testing branch. Aptitude and
> deity are two new replacements for the venerable dselect program and will
> make it easier to select packages. Over XXX packages are updated to newer
> versions, and YYY new packages are added to the distribution in Debian
> GNU/Linux 3.0.
> [ XXX fill in the blanks. Any significant new stuff to mention here? ]
>
> In the area of standards compliance, this is the first release of Debian to
> be fully  compliant with FHS version 2.1. Debian GNU/Linux now also supports
> [ is "compliant" the right word? ]
Don't think so, but I could be wrong. Implements?

"Debian GNU/Linux now implements the recommendations of the Linux Standard
Base (LSB)."

--
Thom May -> thom@debian.org

<srbaker> Overfiend: what's best?  new or used pussy?
 * stu hears the sound of #debian-devel opening up the fortunes file
   with $EDITOR