Re: writing a release announcement

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 07:16:39PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> surely mention crypto in main, the 4 new architectures, and some of the
> most important new packages (any suggestions?).

New for the desktop:
- KDE
- Xine
- Sawfish

New for the server:
- volume management systems (LVM, EVMS)
- BIND 9
- netsaint

Though I think that the major improvements are in existing packages, such as
gnucash and mozilla, which have made huge strides in functionality and
usability since potato.

> Some things from the woody release notes that we could mention include:
>
> - apt pinning
> - revamped task system
> - standadization on debconf
> - build dependencies!
> - aptitude and deity as dselect replacements
> - more secure initial install
> - more i18n support, including fully translated boot-floppies

- other boot-floppies improvements, such as ext3 and reiserfs support
- compatibility with Linux 2.4
- support for newer hardware (USB, etc.)

--
 - mdz