Re: packaging my first library, error from dpkg-buildpackage

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Werner Heuser wrote:

> I'm just trying to package my first library. First I have compiled
> the package to test it. Than again unpacked it and done
> a `dh_make'. Checked the Makefike, edited
> the Debian config files and than `dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot'.
> Now I got an error, which I don't understand:
>
> # Add here commands to install the package into debian/tmp
> /usr/bin/make install DESTDIR="/usr/src/libkemo-m104-1/debian/tmp"

You are not allowed to write to /usr.
What you really wanted to write here is:

   /usr/bin/make install DESTDIR="debian/tmp/usr/src/libkemo-m104-1"

to install to a temporary directory debian/tmp.

> I tried to find a solution in the packaging related docs and
> googelt, too. Also set the debug option in debian/rules to gain
> more information. Also I have Debian/testing with latest
> packaging tools. Please give me a pointer.
I think you should carefully read the New Maintainer Guide.
(Feel free to ask me in private, Werner.)

> libkemo
> Kemo
>  This is the driver library for the M104 4 way computer switch
>  made by Kemo electronic (http://www.kemo-electronic.de/m104_gb.html).
>  With this library you will be able to access your switch under Linux,
>  in order to control appliances plugged to your parallel port in a
>  safe and consistent way, without risking to damage your parallel port
>  or even worse your motherboard.
> The primary site is :
> http://infonomade.linuxfr.org/software/libkemo-m104/
Hint: If you really intent to build a package you perhaps should file an
      ITP bug report against wnpp.

Kind regards

           Andreas.