Re: Can woody-dpkg exclude directory subtrees from being installed?

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 08:59:26PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> a few months ago, it was discussed if dpkg could be configured to
> leave directory subtrees from being installed. For example, our server
> systems are missing man-db, so the entire /usr/share/man subtree is
> wasted disk space. We could also live without /usr/share/doc on the
> productive machines since we don't read docs there anyway.

I think having the whole share directory shared between different
installations would also be nice. That's why the directory actually
exists at all. If I'm right there isn't any support for this in
dpkg because it removes the files if the package is removed and just
creates the same problems. Now I've a lot of files on both my
GNU/Linux and GNU/Hurd partition (and might have the same files on my
GNU/NetBSD partition in the future).

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org